About this clown

My photo
I often feel that we're all spinning slowly... like a mirror ball. Yes, we are all mirrors to each other. And so, it is the Light between us that I hope to help reveal and celebrate. /// J'ai souvent l'impression que nous sommes une boule disco qui tourne lentement. Nous sommes tous des miroirs pour les uns les autres. C'est donc la lumière qu'il y a entre nous que j'espère contribuer à souligner et à célébrer.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Empty of Air, Fool of Bones

A weekend ago I took a Butoh workshop with a teacher from New York, Vangeline.  The work in-corpo-rated elements of:
"Japanese Butoh techniques, guided imagery, bio-energetics, core energetics, creative movement, improvisation, release techniques, elements of Noguchi gymnastics."
The depth and power of this experience in my life has rippled on, all week.  So I thought I'd finally attempt verbalization ... as impossible and absurd as that is.

I/Not-I
Pulled up and forth
by Father, sky,
and with each step
I re-member
the body of my Mother
And I mourn
her pain in giving birth
and this yearning to fly

Aware, Grateful
self-consciously
stringed in between
the darkness and light
of under and above.
of inward and outward

With each breath
seeking to concentrate
to become
a empty vessel,
like a channel
between the worlds
of our children
and our ancestors

An empty bag of air,
only water and
bones left
Within consciousness
of a place between
life and death
and the crux
of a great transformation

beyond the fear
and hopes
that seem to stand
at the crossroads

--

Vangeline is a trip because her approach is.. shamanistic.  It is basically trance work, although it is also dance-theater.
Vangeline is a Butoh artist and the Artistic Director of The Vangeline Theater. She was born in France and moved to New York in June 1993. She founded The Vangeline Theater in December 2002 and has been training extensively with Butoh Master teachers; Diego Pinon of the Butoh ritual Mexicano Center, Tetsuro Fukuhara, Daisuke Yoshimoto, Katsura Kan, Yumiko Yoshioka, Ko Murobushi, and Yoshito Ohno from Japan.

Such a powerful human person!  Such powerful work!  Such powerful Connection... it was like making love with God...
(Butoh tends to give me that)

Shedding layers of mind 
and expectations
Humans
Through
The rabbit holes
to subtler dimensions
We tune in
and turn... slowly... on
the axis mundi
harnessing
kundalini

Through breathwork and visualization, us 20 dancers were guided into alternate states of consciousness.  We moved hyper-consciously, always only necessarily.  Moving from within.  Deep listening... with openess to react spontaneously, when the impulse arises.  Impulses flourish through the body, like infinitesimally small flowers which bud from the darkest most mysterious and deepest places within... 
Butoh.
People ask me.  What is it?
and I still I don't quite know.

I think I cried a tear where I heard our teacher say, that to make sacrifice is to make sacred.  Because I do often feel such a pull towards "sacrifice".  (It's not my fault, it's in my blueprint! Just ask my astrologer.)  And did you know, that the Online Etymology Dictionary:
The sense of "something given up for the sake of another" [was only] first recorded 1590.

This makes so much more sense.  For I do feel pulled to make things sacred.  I want to highlight life, acknowledge the trip.  I want to celebrate within it.  Because it is.  
But still... what does it mean?  To perform ritual.
To follow and lead.
And how all of this is really what I'm talking about when I say: I study clowning.

No comments:

Post a Comment