About this clown

My photo
I often feel that we're all spinning slowly... like a mirror ball. Yes, we are all mirrors to each other. And so, it is the Light between us that I hope to help reveal and celebrate. /// J'ai souvent l'impression que nous sommes une boule disco qui tourne lentement. Nous sommes tous des miroirs pour les uns les autres. C'est donc la lumière qu'il y a entre nous que j'espère contribuer à souligner et à célébrer.

Monday, February 21, 2011

re-cyclus

The thing is,
It would seem that I am already provided for.
(Why such inequality in the [material] world?)
The thing is,
I'm already doing what I am meant to do.
It's also called responsibility.
(It's like Robbie said)

Tripping and falling
on concrete
hurts
sometimes
leaving scratches and scrapes
But we keep
walking.

How ironic.  This week the reading assignment is a book about "The Pickles Family Circus", which were the precursors and founders of the sf circus center:  Judy Finelli, Jeff Razz, Wendy Parkman, Bill Irwin, Diane Wasnack (a.k.a. Pino).
Today we are told that the school is in deep financial trouble, so that the board has resolved to change the locks on the building to show the severity of the situation...
And so we are here, clowns without a roof.  And at best it had been a leaky one.  The circus is on the streets.
Isn't it where it belongs?

My weekend.
Saturday morning I went to work with a new friend who's offered me work with this place called Whole Child, a space for kids with developmental disabilities and "behavioral difficulties"to come play and develop social skills.
I was thrown in a play room with three other instructors/therapists, and about five or six boys between the ages of 5 and 9.  For some of them is what more apparent; a shyness, an akwardness, a retraction.  For others, hyperactivity and need for attention.  Lovely children who ask or refuse to play.  And I observe and I try to engage in play with them.
It's a challenge for me as well.
Another group of younger kids, this one with more severe on the spectrum of autism.
And there I am, thinking to myself: "wow.  I can't believe that I am doing this.  My whole life it has been there, this fascination for mental difference, for autism, hyperactivity, etc. I remember that summer at the summer camp, how I had considered going into special education and take that direction.  But I didn't.
Yet here I am.
I'm doing it.

Axé!
Booyah!

And that just saturday morning!
In the afternoon I gathered with the nine or ten strangers that constitute "my" psychodrama training group."
I had a shamanic experience.
We all did.

Today I went with May May to the Edgewood Center, and played clowns with six youngsters of the residential program.  It was marvelous.  Moments of shyness and tadams! Laughs and aliveness.  Improvisation, stream of thought.  Balance and motion.  Laughs... Sunshine.
Axé!

And I don't know if there will be access to the circus center tomorrow morning.  But tonight I'm going dancing anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment