About this clown

My photo
I often feel that we're all spinning slowly... like a mirror ball. Yes, we are all mirrors to each other. And so, it is the Light between us that I hope to help reveal and celebrate. /// J'ai souvent l'impression que nous sommes une boule disco qui tourne lentement. Nous sommes tous des miroirs pour les uns les autres. C'est donc la lumière qu'il y a entre nous que j'espère contribuer à souligner et à célébrer.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Touski tyrade

What a splendid day!  First, the excursion with my roommates, and then, working...
At Touski!!
I guess I haven't yet declared - because I try to write less about myself and more about the so-called objective world  - that... I have found a dream job!
Café Touski is no big business, but it's quite an enterprise: an anarchist co-op, a neighborhood hang out, a space for arts and talks and good homemade quality food.  I say it's anarchist in the sense that it is completely owned and managed by the ensemble of its member-workers.  It's an experimentation with ''auto-gestion'', self-management.  And it works wonderfully!
The best thing about the spot is the ambiance: the wood, the colors, the wall division.  The dining room is split in three rooms, and there is an additional quarter set up as a space for kids to play!  Is this the café I have been imagining during all those years?!

Working in a tiny kitchen is a sport!  I mean it, this is real hard physical work.  Imagine it for a moment: a greasy floor, orders coming in and you are constantly handling knives and hot plates, in a tiny space, surrounded by 2 other people.  You bend down to the fridge, you reach up for the plastic container on top of the shelf, you fill up giant buckets of meat an you lift them up on the counter for a minute, then you place them, Tetris-style, in a bigger fridge...

In the midst of this madness and given my passion for conscious embodiment, I can't help but bring my mind to the body: my bones, my muscles and tendons, my posture, my feet, my hands, my fingers.  Feeling them so vividly, being so conscious, and realizing: this is a meditation.  I will be dancing-meditating on a slightly splippery floor... ''doing'' Butoh... because Butoh follows me everywhere.

Thinking about the reality of ''labour''.  The human condition.  Supposedly, a price to pay for the Fall...
but I want to question that.
Because I believe that labour should be considered a noble thing.  Enough of the guilt; be proud of what you do, so that you'll want to do it with all your heart.
Why should work be so alienating, so heavy?  Physical or mental work, it's all the same; it's where you put your energy.  So what are you building?  Who are you helping?  Who to you respond to?  Who owns the fruits of your labour?

... I'm just asking.

Because I've seen enough of my fellow humans who do not belong to themselves.  What would Karl Marx say to this?  And what would Nietzsche say?  Would he present us with his idea of the Ubermensch, he (or she, I decided to add) who can surpass him or herself, and grow ever better, deeper, stronger?

Tonight I am tempted to think that Nietzsche developped his concept of the will-to-power from a moral perspective, rather than a physical one - and that perhaps he understood that they were interrelated.  This is why he said that our bodies are the masters.  Because the body is in direct contact with the outside world, with the Other.  Our body knows what is going on, it's for us to learn how to listen.

--------
In the kitchen,
delivering, like an athlete, high on the adrenaline.  Once again, hanging out with the boys. I guess it's my nature and I can't help getting myself in those kinds of environments.  (And I remember that I've always preferred to play catch, rather than with Barbies...though I played a whole lot with those too.)

I am also uncovering the reality of chemical products...
And ventilation takes all its sense.

Feeling doomed to this overly-physical existence, to get tired, injured, and to inhale toxic products.  That's part of the job.  I could be working with my head only; sit down and think things through, and compute them.  I could be smelling good all throughout the day, instead of sweating and staining my apron with creme cheese.  I could work in a safer place.
But perhaps labour comes with danger and decay... perhaps that's part of what's noble about it.  Giving of your body for the sake of the collective.
Bottom line?
I love all this mess and this materiality!  I love all this life! Vegetables, eggs, and tons of recipes.  I love working in a kitchen, as I knew I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment